I’m so excited to finally share this DIY wood food board tutorial, which I’ve had on my to-do list for months!
Awhile back I went to a business retreat and fell in love with this giant wood food board I saw hanging on the wall at the event. We pulled it down and had a great time using it to display and eat an array of tasty snacks. (Think: fruit, crackers, cheese, and all the charcuterie board staples.)
I figured I could totally make one of these boards of my own, and now six months later, here I am, finally making it happen.
The first step to making a DIY wood food board is to gather and purchase all of your materials. Here are all the tools and materials you’ll need:
2. Cut the board: Now it’s time to cut along the pencil markings using a jigsaw. You’ll also want to curve the other sides of the board for a more finished look.
3. Sand the board: With the board cut to your desired shape, it’s time to sand using a 100-grit piece of sandpaper. Smooth the entire board, then repeat with the 220-grit sandpaper.
4. Drill a hole in the handle: Next, use the drill and drill bit to make a hole in the handle. The hole will also allow you to hang it on the wall, which doubles as wall decor and space-saving storage.
5. Clean the board: Your DIY wood food board is almost complete! Before you stain it, make sure to clean the board with a damp microfiber towel to remove all dust.
6. Stain the board: Next, use a brush or rag to apply the stain to the board. I propped my board up on cans so I could better apply the stain to the edges. Remember to let one side dry completely before moving on to the next side.
7. Protect the food board: Finally, it’s time to protect the food board by brushing on a polyurethane coating. Let it dry between sides and lightly sand the board with 220-grit sandpaper in between coats. (I recommend applying 2-3 coats for adequate protection!)
And now your DIY wood food board is complete! Pull out the cheese and crackers and find a reason to host a gathering, because this massive food board is sure to be the star of the night. (And don’t forget to tag @homeandkind on Instagram to show off your handiwork!)
I like to hang out on Instagram and share more in-depth tutorials on everything I make, create, and organize. Come be a part of our Home & Kind Instagram community.