Gingerbread houses are such a fun way to ring in the season as a family. But traditional gingerbread houses take a lot of work to put together—and sometimes I’m just looking for a shortcut during the busy holidays!
Fortunately, these graham cracker gingerbread houses couldn’t be easier. Bring in the glue gun for some added support, and your houses aren’t going anywhere! Pro tip: Assemble the houses in advance when you’re decorating with little kids, which will make the whole process even easier!
1. Prepare candy decorations in a muffin tin. We love using M&Ms, cereal, Hershey’s kisses, pretzels, etc. Feel free to get creative!
2. Use a serrated knife to cut the graham crackers into house shapes. Again, you can totally take creative liberties here to make a unique gingerbread house. But if you’re sticking with the classic look, simply trim down two rectangles, two squares, two triangles for the sides of the roof, and two more rectangles for the top of the roof.
3. Use a glue gun to hold graham crackers together. If you’re doing this activity with little kids, consider using a low-heat glue gun!
4. Glue the entire house to a cardboard cake round before decorating. I like using the pretty gold ones for a prettier presentation, but white or plain cardboard works too!
5. Pre-assemble gingerbread houses for little kids ahead of time, then let them decorate. (Older kids will probably want to build their own!)
6. Cover the entire house with a thick layer of frosting, then decorate with candy. Now for the fun part! You might want to host a friendly competition that includes a prize for the winning gingerbread house—or choose a theme to inspire your decorating!
Now it’s your turn! I hope you enjoy this easy graham cracker gingerbread hack. In my experience, it makes the family activity go a lot more smoothly!
Tag me on Instagram @homeandkind if you try these gingerbread houses at home!
I like to hang out on Instagram and share more in-depth tutorials on everything I make, create, and organize. Come be a part of our Home & Kind Instagram community.